Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Erin Andrews Apologized to 50 Cent and It Made Me Sad

In case you missed it, Fox reporter Erin Andrews was covering the Daytona 500 a couple of weeks ago and it was super awkward. While I thought it was inappropriate I didn't feel the need to weigh in on it until Andrews inexplicably apologized for NOT letting 50 kiss her. After much thought I just couldn't not weigh in.

For the record I like Andrews very much. Not only is she talented but she is beautiful and has built a brand on doing what she does best. I didn't like this though. I am a big believer in women supporting women but in my opinion this was the wrong move.

I have no idea why Andrews felt compelled to apologize for refraining from allowing a guy kiss her while she is performing her job. In the real world not only is this sexual harassment it is a crime called sexual assault. Her explanation that he is a "business partner" to me only made it worse. In a world where women are still struggling for equality no female should be obligated to accept advances while she is performing her job. Not even a sports reporter. I might argue especially a female sports reporter.


We still live and work in a world where females who aspire to work in sports are mocked, ignored and called "jersey chasers." Or worse. We live and work in a world where Jay Bilas is considered the bomb because he poses with cheerleaders while women have to fight for respect when talking to professional athletes. I have no problem with Bilas but don't hold women who aspire to cover, blog or talk about sports to a different standard.


I still love Erin Andrews and I still appreciate what she does as a female in a male dominated profession. I just didn't like her apologizing to 50 Cent when he should have been the one to apologize to her.

2 comments:

  1. This apology should be the other way around. Imagine the names she would've been called had she tried to kiss Jeff Gordon. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what you are saying? She shouldn't have to kiss anyone when she is doing her job.

    ReplyDelete